Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30, 2017

From Dad - Sam's an Elder!:

Hi Josh,

Hope your having a great week. Loved hearing about your adventures as a trainer and District Leader. Missions are great training grounds for life and we love it that your facing each new experience with faith.

We had a wonderful week-end this week. On Saturday, Abby, Ben and I went down to Red-deer to watch Lindy sing in a an all Alberta choir. It was fantastic music and we met Grandma and Grandpa Smith there along with Auntie Liz and Rachel.


Sunday was Stake Conference, and we enjoyed inspirational messages and joyfully sustained Sam in his recommendation to become an Elder. After the meetings we met in a room with the Rice family (Kylan is Sam's age and going to the Paris France mission the same day as Sam) and ordained both to the Melchizedek Priesthood.

I'm so proud and pleased with my sons and their righteous desires.

We also enjoyed a fun "Trunk or Treat" and Chili cookoff with the ward. Candy time! Abby and I threw together a chili 15 min before leaving. It was pretty good, but we didn't win a prize. Fun to participate though.

The other day, Ben and I encountered 3 moose on the road home. It was quite a sight. We were so excited we turned around to get a closer picture and just about drove them to distraction as we were right by some elk fencing and they couldn't get away. Just glad we didn't hit them!


Ever since conference, I've been inspired to take more time in the book of Mormon and I've enjoyed the insights and answers I've found there. I was pondering about baptism the other day and wondering why such a simple physical act could be so vitally important in one's salvation and wondering that it could possibly be something that would keep someone out of the Celestial Kingdom even after this life. I also pondered on why if it was so vital, little children didn't need it at least after this life if their spirits grow up. So I studied in depth 2 Nephi 31 and found some amazing insights into baptism and re-enforced my understanding and testimony of this vital ordinance.

I attached  a picture of my study sheet for your preusal and thoughts.


Make it a great week, son. You are amazing and loved and prayed for.

Love,

Dad.

From Josh - Another week full of Adventure:

It goes by too fast, week by week it is almost overwhelming, I have been learning a ton about myself and I have to say I have a lot to improve on yet... God has helped me with so much, one thing I need to focus on that I have learned is dedication and diligence, If I focus my efforts on there work I can more fully accomplish it. One of my most recent struggles has been staying awake during studies, some of those studies can be pretty invigorating and others are just a struggle.
I think I know a little of why, I have been reading the Old Testament lately and right now I am in the book of Numbers. It is kind of boring going through the Old Testament, but I have been able to broaden my understanding and learning about the Old Testament has actually helped me appreciate the New Testament more, because It helps me to see all the Laws and ordinances that Jesus keeps perfectly while he is on the earth. I would recommend a thorough study of it to those who want to truly appreciate the goings on in the New Testament, and even understanding the Laws the Nephites lived before Christ came could be really beneficial for appreciating all they worked through. 

I have been having a fun time with both Elder Rather and Elder Erickson, something I am constantly reminded of as I learn from them is how mature and how immature you can be as an 18 year old, I am reminded of a lot of my crazy moments back home, and I have to say I am still a lot of the same person as when I left but with all the experiences I have been through I am more of me then I used to be if that makes any sense. I have put off a lot of the foolishness I had when I came out and I have adopted many things I have seen in a lot of my companions, I have a greater confidence in myself as well as God and I have seen many things that I still struggle with that I can't wait to work on in the future. 

The other day we were invited to do a mall booth by our zone leaders and we accepted, so we went and stood at a set up table to represent to everyone the church and to talk to those around the mall. Pretty soon after we got there two younger guys walked up to us one in a black sleeveless shirt and the other in a red polo shirt, they started off the conversation with us by asking, "what is the Gospel to you?" and we told them we believed that it was Christs teachings, and It all boiled down to 5 things Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism by emersion, receiving the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the end. I could tell they were getting ready to bash us because my heart started beating, and adrenaline pumped into my vains, nevertheless I took a deep breath and tried to look calm... I could tell that this would be a long night. After we stated baptism the guy in the black shirt stated a grace scripture from Galatians and said that we were trying to work our way to heaven by the act of baptism, we reassured them that we indeed believed in grace that it was impossible to achieve heaven of our own works, he stated then a scripture in 2 Nephi "we are saved by grace, after all we can do" and continued the argument that we were working our way to heaven, we tried not to argue with them instead we would agree with those things that were true and disagree with that which was not true, but these guys were determined to pick a fight they brought up becoming like God, they brought up our beliefs on Christ, they brought up many different things distracting our purpose until we had to pack up and leave, over all it was a complete waist of their time and ours, afterwords they stated that they were simply concerned for our souls and wanted us to come back to Christ, and I called them out and told them that they had come up in the spirit of contention and we had come to simply spread a message of peace, we told them that the spirit of contention was not of Christ and we left, they then promised to come back next time, it was kind of frustrating but all in all I am grateful for that experience because it caused me to think and to consider on those things that were true, through prayer and study I was able to strengthen my testimony. 
I have learned on my mission that it is the hard times that have allowed me to learn the most so I embrace them, I pray for those trials that will help me to grow the most, I pray for humility and I ask for chastizement because the greatest thing I have learned about myself is that I am in constant need of improvement, that I have so much to learn.

Another experience this happened to us just yesterday, we were walking down the street and a man driving by start screaming at us to stop preaching and to get a life and a few other things that we couldn't understand and probably wouldn't be worth repeating, we just shook our heads and let it slide, it happens consistantly enough not to let it get to us, but this lady came out of her house who we had just talked to and apologised for that guy doing that, she said that it just wasn't right and told us to have a good day. Simply that comment restored my faith somewhat in humanity, there are good people out there, and it also enphasized to me the importance of the little things that when we do small things for eachother we don't know the impact it may have. May we never be "weary in well doing" 

I love you all so much, remember if you would like details about my life then all you have to do is ask more detailed questions. 

I am healthy and happy, learning more and more each day, I love being a missionary, and I hope to serve with greater dedication this last transfer I have. Next time I email it will be within my last transfer as a missionary so that is pretty crazy! I will keep that out of my mind for now.

Love 

Josh

Trying on suits at macy's 

All of my food I had left before today. 

Elder Erickson deposating his check after being reenbersed by the church for all his clothes he needed for this mission. 




No comments:

Post a Comment