Monday, October 16, 2017

October 16, 2017

From Josh What a week:

This week has been incredibly busy and I hardly know what happened, we have been really trying to find new investigators because we have slowly been getting dropped or dropping our investigators, so now we are going into pure finding mode, Elder Rather is a pretty fun missionary, he loves the work but is really hoping to get to India soon, can't blame him it can be a struggle with serving in a different mission then when you are called with the thought of a visa just around the corner. 

I have been thinking a lot about what I can do to be a better missionary, and the greatest difference I have seen in my missionary work is when I am dedicating myself to reading the Book of Mormon everyday and studying the scriptures, as a missionary you have access to a lot of revelation and understanding about the scriptures and I believe the Lord blessed you to see things you don't ordinarily see, I love delving into the scriptures and seeing all the rich treasures that they hold and I always feel an increased confidence when I am doing what is right and also spending times on things of the Lord. 

We had stake conference yesterday and Elder Parrella of the seventy spoke, he talked about the importance of the youth, and he talked about how many good youth this stake had, and he made all fo them stand up telling everyone to see all the youth and he made a comment that struck me, he said "parents, leaders, everybody, we can't lose a single one of these youth, don't let it happen" He went on to talk about a survey that he saw about the youth, and one thing that stuck out to me was the the youth of today want "authenticity and transparency" that they desire people to be honest and sincere and I feel like I can do a lot better at that with the people around me.
A few more things that stuck out to me that stake conference was 
"You are what you do, and you do what you choose. If you don't like what you are, then change what you do"
"Tell me the facts and I will learn, tell me the truth and I will believe, but tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever"
That last one is something that is so true, and I know it personally, I have fond memories of Dad telling us the adventures of the "Doll House" I love stories so much and I feel like I get a lot of my creativity from the stories told throughout my life.
I was thinking about it and I remember one of the greatest moments that I remember was one time when we were trying to fill up a bean jar with all the good things we did and when that bean jar was full we would be able to go to the movies, well the day came and a movie came out that we really wanted to see, but the bean jar was not full, and I remember Dad taking the bean jar and another thing full of beans and telling us that because we had fallen short we would not be able to go to the movies. Then he took the extra beans and poured them into the bean jar filling it to the top, and he said that because of the fall we all come up short but because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ he makes up the difference... I didn't think much about it at the time but it is one moment in my life that I treasure, because now I can't even remember the movie we went to watch but I remember the lesson learned. 

We talked to this lady the other day who we approached and she was pretty friendly but kind of demeaning, she saw we were mormons and told us that she didn't believe the same things, in fact she believed that we were going to go to hell because we were mormon, curious I asked why she believed that, she said that we were adding to the bible by bringing up the Book of Mormon, and that it contradicted the bible... I asked her what was contradictory about it, but she brushed off the questions, we asked if she believed that God couldn't add anymore that he didn't have the power, she told us that she did believe he could add to it but that he hasn't, after jumping around a few issues to the next from the king james version being hard to read to telling us we needed to speak to one of her pastors. Finally knowing that we wouldn't be getting anywhere we went our separate ways, but it always troubles me to think that a lot of people are so blind to the truth that they aren't even willing to seek it out to test if its even the least bit true. 
I had an experience where I was having a fun conversation with another missionary over which peanut butter was better, Canadien peanut butter or U.S. peanut butter, after some debate I encouraged this missionary to try it... my offer was denied, why? because they did not want a better peanut butter to ruin their opinion on American peanut butter. It boggled my mind that one would refuse something better for the sole reason that what they had would appear less amazing to them... Do we get into that rut sometimes? What are we fearing to try on the grounds that life won't be the same? are there risks that we are not taking on the grounds that our former life may seem less amazing as it seems to us now? What is holding us back from reaching our full potential? 

As a district leader I get the opportunity to give trainings in district meeting... something that I found this week that was really fun was not giving a training but letting everyone discuss the topic at hand, Everyone that was there knew all the material I was using and so why would I try to put myself above? it reminded me of a discussion I had with another missionary in the past, where we thought about the difference between the gospel view and the world view, in the world Teachers and leaders should always be one step ahead of the student, know more then those they are teaching, and we figured that was a lot different then a gospel teacher should be. A gospel teacher should come just as willing to learn as the student, I am definitely not the smartest person in the world so I have so much to learn. 

I am grateful for you all and love you more then anything! 

I am eating as healthy as I can, me and Elder Rather have goals to be as fit as we can, so we have been hitting up the gym extra hard, and we have been walking and biking as much as we have opportunity to. The members are great in this ward and I wouldn't mind finishing up here, it is a real possibility and I am looking forward to all the opportunities to serve here. I love being a missionary, and I love serving with so many great people all around me. 

I love you all and hope all is well. 

Josh

-Me and Elder Rather taking a break on a curb
-Us eating pizza

-Halfway through and we are dying 

-Finished both large pizza's against all odds. 

-Recycling


From Dad - Missionaries:

Hi Josh,

Last night we were sitting around the front room watching home videos. These included many recorded by you and the boys and we roared with laughter over Bens burping and sound affects as well as episodes of "super glasses boy" etc. We also watched some family home screamings with Mia demanding her glass of milk as well as a Christmas morning when we surprised everyone with a new WII. 

As we sat there watching, Ben turned to me and said "I miss Josh". And then a few minutes later, "I'm sure gonna miss Sam!"  

Life is ever changing and we will never again have just the 8 of us sitting around a Christmas tree opening presents and squeaking and Sam shaking all over with joy after getting a new Bionicle. But that's ok. It's part of the plan. Just like you are having unique experiences with the wonderful people of California. Hope you are able to enjoy every minute with them. 

Sam and Mom took a road trip to Utah to visit Steph and Tyler and to get all of Sams mission list. It is a tradition now to have Mom go on a trip with the next missionary to Utah. Maybe I'll do it with the girls!  Though I'm not sure they want me picking their dresses out :)

Just realized I forgot to finish and send this. Sorry Josh. Double letters next week. 

Sam and Mom got home safely and sam got all his mission supplies. He also got some good advice from the Pretes ( they own the Cardston bookstore ) as they served a couple mission in Zambia. The biggest advice was for Sam to fully immerse himself and not think of himself as a Canadian but rather as an African missionary for 2 years. Biggest reason Ishtar many of his companions will be from Africa and be so poor as to hardly comprehend he amazing advantages we have here. It will be a humbling and amazing experience for him. 

This week the priests got to go to the foodbank and sort food for a service project. I really love having Ben in Proesrs quorum. He's so positive. 

He was recognized as a youth community leader by an anonymous teacher and got to attend a mayors luncheon. While there he managed to both get his picture on the front page of the Leduc Rep and get his back pack stolen. 


Sorry again for missing the send button this morning. 

Have a great week regardless. Praying for you always. 

Dad 

No comments:

Post a Comment