Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23, 2017

From Mom - The Holy Ghost:

Dear Josh,

I had the realization this week that I have one son who is serving a first world community with all the challenges of riches and pride and another son going to a third world country with all the challenges of poverty. Polar opposites. But you know what? You are serving in California because your talents are needed there and Sam is going to Zambia because his talents are needed there. Also, the Gospel and the Atonement is the answer for all our challenges, regardless of place and circumstances. It’s pretty awesome how that works.

We just returned from Lethbridge where we witnessed Autumn’s baptism and baby Holly’s blessing. Mark and Shannon’s family is growing and we loved spending time with them.





(It was a little windy in Lethbridge.)



Mia got a ball to the face while playing dodgeball with the cousins. After her bloody nose was cleaned up, she held baby Holly to make her feel better.


Sam and I had a chance to visit with Great Grandpa and Grandpa. They are hanging in there despite many health challenges. Great Grandpa told Sam that he would see him in two years but many are hoping he will graduate to the next life before then as his body is weak and failing. They are still supportive and loving as ever though and have left a powerful legacy of hope and charity.



Sam and I went to Utah last weekend and basically repeated the same thing you and I did two years ago. So fun to get all the stuff for his mission and see Steph.



The most important thought I’ve had this week is about the power of the Holy Ghost. When we live worthy of His companionship and seek it out, it magnifies every aspect of our lives. We serve more effectively, our humility increases, we are inspired to act in ways the natural man doesn’t, our desires change to something better. When I look back on my week and see the pictures, I can’t help but feel such gratitude for a God who loves us and blesses us as we strive to live his commandments. Dad and I often say that you (and all our children) are our greatest blessing in life. We love you and cherish you.

Keep working hard and seeking inspiration for your mission until that last moment and then come home with all your knowledge to apply to the rest of your life. We pray for you and are so proud of everything. I’m excited for the debrief in December!

Love to you forever,

Mom



(Does the baby look a little desperate to you? Lol!)

From Josh - Twists and Turns

Our week was pretty great, and a lot has happened, this week started out like normal and things are going pretty good, we have been biking a lot so that is fun getting used to that when we have a ton of hills in the area. 


On Thursday as I was conducting district meeting president walked in which is always a little stressful as a district leader though he was only there to make an announcement that we would be receiving two missionaries from Madagascar and they would be coming the next day, we thought that was pretty cool, we then got a call later that night from the Assistants to president saying that our companionship had been selected to get one of them and that we were to be at the mission office at four the next day, we got pretty excited after that and looked forward to it with anticipation, then we were informed the next day that he had been delayed and would be arriving on Saturday so we had to change our plans, finally on Saturday we went to the office and picked up Elder Erickson the new addition



Both my companions are pretty amazing and I am glad to be serving with them, they are both in training and sometimes I forget what it was like so I have to catch myself sometimes when I expect them to do things they have never heard of before, so going back to their level has taught me a lot about patience. 

In other news, I have been working on centering myself on the Book of Mormon and on following the spirit, I have been really trying to be in tune and focused on what the Lord wants me to do. In my last email I said that I was not too trunky and I am not in the way of thinking, but it seems like i get tired more easily and I am less motivated, i have been working hard to stay focused and dedicated to what i am doing and I know that if I trust in the Lord he will guide and direct my efforts.


You would be proud of me for eating healthy... well at least until you know that this was pretty much the last of my food... good thing I got to go shopping today though end of the month budget gets pretty tight, no problems though, a member was super nice and payed for our food for us. So thankfully I still have some money left over to be used in next months budget. 

I love you all so much, I am grateful for all the blessing we have, I have been hearing a lot of the 3rd world problems that is presented by Elder Erickson coming from Madagascar and its pretty sad, I am grateful to be free, I am grateful to be clean, I am grateful for my family, and for our prosperous living conditions, I am grateful that even though we weren't the richest we never went without, I am grateful for all of the tender mercies of the Lord and how he is always watching over us, I have made a lot of mistakes in life and I am overcome by the mercy that God gives to us his children, I am doing my best to help him in his work and its something I think we all are doing our best at.

One thing that the Lord keeps reminding me though is that I can always do something more, that no matter what I am doing I can do something more to help him and to help others, so in our busy lives always consider what you can be doing more, whether it is saying something nicer or giving a smile to someone random, maybe its thanking the cashier by the name on their name tag (one of my personal favorites) The moral is that in everything we are doing we can always be doing something more to "let [our] lights so shine...that they may see [our] good works and glorify [our] father in heaven" 

Love 

Josh






No comments:

Post a Comment