Monday, July 31, 2017

July 31, 2017

From Dad:

Hi Josh,

It's been a great week here in Smithville. 

Biggest of all for me was finishing the roof off! It was a big project and full of new experiences and challenges. I've really enjoyed working with Ben especially as he's been the one available. Something about working together that brings you closer.


I've been thinking a lot lately about the purpose of life.  I've been using the "5 Why's" method which essentially teaches that when you want to understand a problem or a concept at a root cause level, you continually ask successive "Why" questions until you get to the most root cause level of understanding. So for example:

Q: What is my purpose on earth? Why am I here?
A: To learn and grow

Q: Why do I want or need to learn and grow?
A: So I can progress and become more like my Heavenly Father

Q: Why is it important to progress and become like my Heavenly Father?
A: So I can live with him again and have what he has?

Q: What is the purpose of living with him again and being like him?
A: To be fulfilled and happy - Men are that they might have joy!

Etc.

Then having dug down into a problem/idea/concept, you can identify meaningful actions to address the root cause of something vs. just the outer leaves or symptoms of a problem. We can do the same thing with all aspects of our testimony! Why do I believe Joseph was a prophet? Why is the atonement important? Why do I need to get married? etc. etc.

We had a good YM discussion on this on Sunday as I taught all 3 quorums. It was kind of fun as one of the YM (Sam Bates) went on Mormon.org and started chatting with a representative and asked her what the Purpose of Life is. 

We had the missionaries over the other day for dinner and they shared with us some training on doing missionary work with Facebook! That was a novel concept! Have they talked about doing anything like that in your mission? Edmonton seems to be a progressive mission as they have iPads and are talking about having smart phones as well and using social media in their finding and in training members.

While they were here, we prayed, looked through their facebook friends list and right then and there encouraged us to send someone a message related to the gospel and start a conversation with a Facebook friend. So I did! I texted a friend/old co-worker who was an intern with us. He just got a job at NVDIA in California so I told him to keep an eye out for you :)

Steph flew in yesterday after being delayed overnight in Vancouver. She's cut her hair for the canoe trip and she actually looks alot like you boys with your haircuts! Really enjoyed catching up with her again.

Last night Mom went down to Waterton with Carly Bateman to go on her annual hike with her tribe (Sioban Westeropp, Jamelyn Stephan etc). It's a good therapy session to get together and sweat with good friends!

We are heading out to Ontario on Wednesday. Should be a good time and looking forward to doing a canoe trip with your Mom. 

Have a great week. "Sprint with the Spirit" to the end! 

Love Dad.


From Josh:

This week has flown by with so many things happening, yesterday we were able to have three of our investigators come to church, and in the third hour we have joint meeting and discussed why we all came to church, it is always a little nerve racking because a lot of the comments made by people were very candid, like, "Honestly its a struggle to come to church" or "I don't often stay for the three hours", but luckily everyone talked about  how much of a blessing it was. 

Last week I don't know if I added this but we boldly invited Brad Giles, (one of the less actives we were working with) to come to church, and after struggling he said he would come and he came, he hasn't been to church in 12 years and when he came he was super nervous, and it was a real struggle even when he sat down we was really struggling to feel good, but then the first hymn came on and he settled right in.
Yesterday he came for the second time and he has really been welcomed back into the ward with open arms and loves everything about it, he couldn't stop thanking us for inviting him, it really put in my mind the importance of not being afraid and not hesitating in following the spirit because we didn't do anything of ourselves, it was all the Lord, I read something the other day about submitting our will to God, and I have been really wondering how I can do that, to truly become instruments in the hands of God, it is so difficult I struggle pushing my thoughts and feelings to the side and letting the spirit lead, there are times when I catch brief glimpses of what it is like to let the spirit guide completely, I am way more confident when I am letting myself be led, I know what to say all the time and nothing seems daunting, I can talk to anyone, angry or nice and always say something that they need to hear, and at the end of the day I am overwhelmed by how much that I can't do, without the spirit I would be lost and nothing would get done, I get discouraged easily and overwhelmed, I struggle to speak to everybody and often let people pass me by. I am nothing without the Lord. 

I love being a missionary so much, I have been having so many great experiences and love the people here, the good and the mean. I love being around so many great missionaries and members and my time here is going way too fast, I almost never want it to end. I have thought about extending my mission but would also really love coming home before Christmas, It has been a subject of prayer and honest seeking, what would you think about me extending my mission? 

I love you all so much and I know that this all is true. Put your trust in the Lord and focus on your efforts to strengthen your testimony.

Love
Josh



 -exchange pick with Elder Aguilar in my district

 -Coupons! missionary money.

 -Evil spider trying to stop us from visiting people

 -weekly planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment