Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3, 2017 - Canada Day

From Dad:

Hi Josh

Happy Canada 🇨🇦 Day!!

We enjoyed Mark and Shannon and they're crazy fun family for the weekend. Their kids have enough energy to run our house for the week end if we could harness it. 

A fun part of the week-end was running a 5k foam fest race. Basically a short tough mudder.  Mom, I, sam and Ben went with uncle Mark. It was actually a lot of fun aside from realizing how out of shape I am. 



We also had a fun trip to Sparwood to spend a day with uncle Dave and some of his kids way back in the mountains. Beautiful and fun time hiking, shooting guns, and sleeping in a communal lean to. 





Sam, Ben and I stayed in Cardston after we had a good visit with great Grandpa Smith and my parents. We went to a play/musical called "Sherlock" written by Denny Burton. The boys were in heaven watching it. We drove most of the night to get home in time for Canada day. 


I had a really good experience reading the 2009 talk by Elder Christoferson about covenants. 


A couple of parts that really struck me was this

"What is the source of such moral and spiritual power, and how do we obtain it? The source is God. Our access to that power is through our covenants with Him"

"In all the ordinances, especially those of the temple, we are endowed with power from on high. This “power of godliness” comes in the person and by the influence of the Holy Ghost. The gift of the Holy Ghost is part of the new and everlasting covenant. It is an essential part of our baptism, the baptism of the Spirit. It is the messenger of grace by which the blood of Christ is applied to take away our sins and sanctify us (see 2 Nephi 31:17). It is the gift by which Adam was “quickened in the inner man” (Moses 6:65). It was by the Holy Ghost that the ancient Apostles endured all that they endured and by their priesthood keys carried the gospel to the known world of their day."

Hope you can have that powerful spirit with you as you are fulfilling your covenants on your mission. 

Dad. 











From Josh: Coming up on a new transfer

So I have the news, I am staying in Seco Canyon for another transfer, I have a new companion... luckily it is someone I know, I am super excited for this next transfer and the things that will be able to see done here by the power of God. 

This week was pretty great, so many miracles that I get to be a part of, I went on exchanges with a spanish elder so I didn't expect to be of much use, but while we were walking by these people we decided to just talk to them, as it turns out they spoke pretty good english and we ended up teaching them about the restoration, there were kids there so we taught it super simply and ended up getting a return appointment, the spirit was super strong to the point where we were almost to tears. 
I left the exchange and got a text back from the other Elders, and they said they went back and found that there were twenty people in the home and they are planning to teach them all. 

We were able to go to the temple the other day, I love the temple it is such a beautiful place to be
the spirit is unrestrained, the message simple and pure, it is truly the Lords House, and this is truly the Lords Church. 

I have been considering a few words that Moroni shared he, talked about the liberty that binds us, it binds us to the responsibility to our families and to our country and our religion, being free has a price, and we must all work for it.

Tips for a mission.

Remember to be bold, the problem with too many missionaries is that they are afraid of ruffling peoples feathers, but we need to remember how important this message it and that we have the fullness of the Gospel and every one needs to know it! 

Pictures next week... I don't have a comparable computer with my SD card. 

but I love you all. 

Josh


p.s sorry that its short this week, we have a very limited time to write the monday before transfers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment