Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sept 24, 2017 - With Great Responsibility

From Mom:

Dear Josh,

First of all, I want you to know that I haven't missed a day of sincere prayer and in-depth personal scripture study since our email two weeks ago. It makes SUCH a difference and so many millions of tiny ways. I went with my Mom to visit Kurri at the beginning of this challenge and I have to say that the Spirit of study and prayer deeply affected the visit in guiding our conversations and increasing my humility. I'm grateful for you and glad for your constant missionary influence. Thanks, Josh. I plan to keep it up until you're home and then I have another missionary son to keep me going. How lucky am I!

So, I have an interesting development for you to consider... 

It sounds like BYU-Idaho will not let you enroll without your ACT. Having said that, they are extremely lenient with the deadlines, meaning as long as you write it before school starts, they'll accept your registration, so I went ahead and started the process. I called the mission office to see if they would allow you to write the ACT while on your mission (apparently some mission presidents do this but President Henry is not one of them). Having said that, there is an ACT exam date on December 9 in Edmonton and your mission president said he would give you an honourable release two weeks early in order for you to be able to take the exam and attend BYU-Idaho. 

Don't freak out ...

When I heard this, I felt like President Henry was inspired. Not because of the ACT ... but because you would be able to see Sam before he leaves for Africa!! And President Henry has no idea about missing your brother by one measly day (does he?). I explained that this was your decision and we would abide by it, but I would get back to them soon with your answer. 

What is your gut instinct on this? Sometimes we know right away what we should do and sometimes it takes thought and prayer. Is it possible for you to take a minute right now, as you're sitting reading this, to close your eyes and send your thoughts heavenward and ask Heavenly Father what you should do?

*********

As a mom, I know Sam would benefit greatly from your experiences, especially if it's face to face. As it stands, you get home on the 19th and Sam leaves on the 19th. Also, there are a few of your acquaintances also attending BYU-I, namely Rebecca Olsen, Christian Burton and Hayley Hunter. Something to think about. 

Just as a funny side note, I was leaving a chiro appointment and a set of missionaries came in. I've never seen them before as it was in Edmonton but I explained that I was Mormon and that my missionary son had a dilemma. I explained the situation and asked them what they would do. One said, "absolutely! I would go home early for my brothers' sake, but I wouldn't for the ACT." Lol! The other said, "I would want to finish my two years to the very end." So, I guess it's really a 50/50 decision, but you're entitled to revelation about it. 

Just let me know ASAP, okay? Please? 

******

In other news... 
this is something I put up on your Facebook, which I find a little ironic considering the choice you have to make with the possibility of coming home early.



And this was a very cool response ...



This response was just confirmation that you are truly doing a worthy and fantastic work on your mission in the San Fernando area. 

The week was busy as usual. Here are the pics...

Flying home from Victoria, I got a fantastic aerial view of Alberta.


Mia got the game of Life for her birthday and Sam condescended to play. Lol!



Maple walnut ice cream. 


Ward Camp service project .... scrubbing water toy equipment at a Scout Camp. 



Sooo, life is pretty good. Today is my birthday (Sunday) and I can't help but feel the peace of a good life resting comfortably on my shoulders. Thank you for being a good son, for working towards what is worthy and right. Dad and I are so proud of you.

Again, let us know ASAP about your decision. We'll support you either way. 

Love you forever,

Mom

With great power comes great responsibility, and with great responsibility comes great power.

Big news! Transfers are here and I have not been transferred! that is a first on my mission... this will be the first area that I have stayed in for six months, I am also training a new missionary and being a district leader as well, I am a little stressed but i know that if God is on our side then we need not worry about a thing. I have learned and related it to a supernal trust test where a lot of things in life seem to be going down hill and when everything seems dark and bleak and its all a struggle then those are the times where we just have to fall backwards and let God catch us in his arms. I have had to do that a lot in this transfer and have also been learning to be less worried over awkward experiences. I have to put aside a lot of my worry and doubt if I am going to be able to share trainings as a district leader and also let this new missionary take the lead, a constant balance.

This week has been a constant blur something I continue and love still is centering myself every morning on the word of God when I stop everything in the morning and read at least one chapter in The Book of Mormon I am filled with more confidence and surety and then I can move forward being able to know that what I do from then on can be more centered on Christ. 
We went on exchanges mid way through the week and we were knocking in an interesting area and we ran into an israelite... let me explain, we knocked and a black man answered and he asked us if we believed in Christ we told him we did and he said that as long as we believed on the christ of the bible, and we told him we did, he continued to say that if we believed in the White Jesus then we had the wrong Jesus, because Jesus was "obviously" black, and he only taught his people, (meaning black people) and that only those of that decent were israelites, Elder Johnson (The Elder we were on exchanges with) said "its a good thing that we are from a tribe of Israel too" 
"you might believe that because you are of a heathen nation" was his response. after going back and forth for a little bit, it was all I could to not react and we forced ourselves to walk away, especially since he told us that he had managed to confound every mormon missionary that came his way... the reason was that he was beyond reason, nothing we said really had any influence on him. So the only way to deal with people so hard hearted is to walk away. 

I am loving life, I am sort of sad to say goodbye to my companions but I am also excited to this next transfer and for what it holds. For one I will be able to be a part of a few baptisms that I have worked with for a while so it is super exciting for me to see these people come and feel of the blessing of being a member of Gods church, I am hoping to be able to accomplish all that God has for me to accomplish in this area, I have come so far and have changed so much on my mission, my goal is to finish out strong and come home having no regrets.

I am super grateful for you all and love being able to give you updates on my life.

I am in good health... a little sick honestly (Common cold) nothing to worry about... I am eating more vegetables and exercising daily, going back to training life is going to be an adventure, developing new relationships and changing lives is in my future! 

Love you all

Josh

-Us with our investigator and her mother (our investigator is the one in the pink shirt)


-Pictures with some of the members daughters


-the Companionship.


-Me in glasses. 




No comments:

Post a Comment